An arrest has been made related to the series of gun violence threats made on social media over the last week, targeting various school in Marion County.
In a statement released on Facebook, Marion County Public Schools said that “Fortunately, law enforcement has arrested the person responsible for this morning’s threat mentioning specific teachers at specific schools… and that person is a Forest High School student who now faces serious legal consequences for their actions.”
School officials then urged an important message:
“Remember, if you see something, say something to law enforcement. Don’t spread the rumor on social media.”
This news comes after the second consecutive day of gun violence threats circulating on social media platforms regarding specific targets. Friday’s threats, reportedly, named targets as specific teachers.
Marion County Public Schools officials said that these disruptions to the education of local children are not being taken lightly.
“These disruptions are not acceptable and we are putting forth every effort to help law enforcement catch the person responsible and hold them accountable in every way possible, including arrest and convictions. These interruptions to our student learning must be taken seriously, and we realize the inconvenience they cause. We appreciate your patience as we move forward with learning and understand your concerns for student safety.”
“This remains paramount to everything we do – keeping our campuses safe.”